Wednesday 3 May 2017

Front cycle wings


After putting it off for along time, I finally took the plunge and fitted the front wings.  It took a bit of fettling around the wing carriers and a hole for the side indicators which IVA rules state must be at the widest part of the car (not including wing mirrors).

After fettling for the carriers and lining them up they weren't sitting straight so adjusted them and then the gaps didn't line up. A bit annoying but not a world ender.  I tacked them in place over night before drilling holes for a pair of bolts to ensure they don't fly off while driving. 

I then cut them back off, added the rivets and bolts before adding a large amount of sealant to hold them permanently in place. I then ran the indicators and started connecting them up before a large, random shower hit and soaked me and the car!


You can see a crack above the bolt on the front right, it chipped while drilling.  Ive filled it, sanded it and now painted it. Hopefully it will keep the damage covered for many years. 




4 comments:

  1. It's interesting to watch but you're doing your build in almost the exact reverse order to me :-). I did all the bodywork, lights, interior, dash etc AFTER I did the engine, electrics and other mechanical bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how it's going to pan out with the engine and gearbox still to fit and the side panels on but we shall see. I think I were to do one again I would change the order of doing things slightly but the order has been driven by finance and what I can afford at any given stage.

    Is yours on the road yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Engine and Gbox with panels on will be fine, its the fuel line routing, loom and cable adjustment I lacerate my hands on with everything in place.
    Reaching in from the side for that stuff is so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good to know, thanks. All that is routed now and hopefully able to just drop the engine and box in soon

    ReplyDelete