Sunday 28 August 2016

Dash prepped for the clocks

So after my build order changed massively due to a possible shortage of engines I have put an order in for the engine which now means I can't afford the clocks when I wanted them so have had to do other jobs. I decided (due to the weather), to finalise the dash so it's ready for the clocks when I do get them.

A very straightforward process, but very time consuming. 

Firstly was to attach the GRP dash to the scuttle. I lined everything up and then marked the first two holes. These were then drilled out while a rivnut was inserted into the scuttle. I drilled to 7.5mm even though the bolts are 6mm to give a little room for error.

After the first two holes were perfect, I moved into the next two. Repeated the above and moved on etc etc. 

Finally it was all drilled out and bolted to the scuttle which made it feel much more solid than before.



Next up I set about drilling the holes to mount the clocks. I've opted for the stainless steel surround as I like the mirror like finish it gives. I lined it up with the cutout for the steering shaft and ensured it was level using a spirit level and the kitchen counter. Once lined up, I marked the holes and was impressed with how close my pure guesswork was a few months ago.


As I didn't have a hole cutter, I drilled loads of small holes using a blunt 3.2 mm bit I had from drilling rivet holes in the chassis.


I then used some small snips to cut the holes through to each other.



Once the holes were loose, they pushed out and I sanded using a flap sander attached to my dremel. This made short work of the GRP but had to control myself so I didn't sand too much excess away - this will be done when I have the clocks to ensure a snug fit. 



I then added the surround so I could see how things are going to look and peeled back a small but if the protective film to see the mirrored finish.


It looks great and can't wait to get it fitted.

Just a word of caution, if working with GRP use a dust mask and eye protection at all times. It's horrible stuff and will cause you issues if you don't.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mitch, FWIW
    That mirror finish on the surround is one of the things I will eventually change.
    I recommend changing it to a brushed finish... Its just amazing the number of times the sun is reflected off that thing right into your face + takes a while to change because its a clocks out process.

    Good luck with the build!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard,

    Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to send a message. I had seen a post of yours before about it being dazzling when the sun catches the SS surround but I think I'm making up for the potentially wrong choice of going for the aluminium panel set rather than all SS.

    Time will tell but I think you may be right in the long run.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete