Thursday, 15 February 2018
Press the button on the speedo while turning on the ignition and release it before the needle sweep returns to zero.
The screen then shows SETPPU. Press and hold the button again for about 2 seconds and the current setting is shown. The digits then flash for 2-3 seconds each before moving to the next number. When the number is flashing if you press the button again it increases. Once you let go, after 2 seconds it moves to the next number. Once all numbers are set they all flash together. press the button one more time and DONE is shown on the screen. I set 013021 which is the number for the FORD setup and the figure advised by GBS.
While I was out I did a few other bits. One was change two nuts to nylocs as noted by the MOT pre test last week. While I was there I noted a steering gator has a slight nick in it and is leaking grease! DAMN. Tried to repair it but need a new one.
I also used a bit of sealant to hold the washer fluid bottle in place, nice and easy.
And finally I used a bit of sealant to hold the steering bung in place as it keep slipping off.
Left to do:
Trim seat bolts - Not an IVA issue
Trim gearbox if I get chance - Not an IVA issue
Change the headlights back to halogen
Fault find the battery warning light
Put the emissions map into slot 2 and power map into slot 1 on the ECU
Replace the fuses with the LED type that glow red when the blow (its a pain in the arse finding which has blown each time.
Change steering gator.
I think thats pretty much it!
Tuesday, 13 February 2018
For anyone wondering why there are no plates, its because its not yet registered. The trip to a pre-booked MOT is legal in insured, booked and the direct route - all of which I complied with.
A think hard frost with the road visually iced over!
After de-icing the wifes car, she followed me down to my local centre just 8 miles away. After a few miles I noticed the speedo wasn't working. Pulled over and noticed a single wire and come loose. No tools with me so carried on and got to the MOT test. I was 1 min late so "missed my booking" but managed to get every single employee outside to have a look and chat to me about the car - FOR 20 MINS!!! They said id been re-booked for 1330 and to come back later.
I was actually quite happy with that as I got to drive the car again!
Anyway, returned later that day and they put it through:
Emissions - PASS
Brake efficiency - PASS
Headlight alignment (needed tweaking) but - PASS
Tracking - Not able to conduct due to the kit they had
A professional look over and they said it was very well built, so much so they said it was a pleasure to work on that day and the test was free!
All in all, very happy and drove home a happy boy. Turns out its a thirsty car though so pulled in at the local petrol station for some fuel. Once topped up and paid, I tried to leave but she wouldn't start. Nothing I tried worked. After stripping the dash it turns out Id blown a fuse - swapped for a new one and she fired up and I drove home.
Got a handful of minor jobs to do now and only one weekend to do them (due to work) before the test. Long range weather looks cold but I just hope its not snowing or raining. Anything else I can cope with.
Saturday, 27 January 2018
Tuesday, 23 January 2018
Monday, 22 January 2018
Now its time for the final jobs prior to the IVA.
First up - tune the engine. Its running really rich which isn't good for either the engine, the exhaust or the polar bears so time to sort it. I got a very kind bloke (Simon who used to work at GBS) remote in and tune it for me. Now runs very well, much quieter and stable.
Sort the tracking out. The wheels are now visibly straight (were only ever a few mm off) but it steers and drives much better and is also easier to push around the garage / drive. It needs a proper tracking session but this will do for now.
Better secure a bit of wiring - specifically the nose indicators and rear lights wiring. These have been done with some glue on cable tie blocks.
Fit the wing mirrors - Done although not sure I can see enough for IVA.
Fit the rear view mirror - another nice and easy job and think rear vision is ok.
Re-bleed the brakes - after fixing a weep from the brake pressure switch, they need a re-bleed. Also need to move the passenger side front brake line as on full lock it just touches the wishbone. Ive bought a vacuum pump to help me as jobs like that are difficult with a baby.
Sort the ride height. Currently about 10mm too high at the front. Ive bought some tools for the job but they are less than ideal. Will try another method this weekend.
Stamp the chassis number on the chassis and fit the chassis plate onto the car somewhere.
Extend the cable for the start solenoid as ive got a LHD gearbox but a RHD car so the cable isn't quite long enough. It fits but isn't quite right and don't think it will pass IVA. While im there I need to tidy the oil pressure wiring.
Fit a bit more IVA trim around the wishbone mounts.
And finally just run through the IVA test manual and check for anything that I may fail for - then rectify it.
This week I sent off the IVA paperwork so just waiting for them to come back to me with a date for the test now - so excited.
Saturday, 30 December 2017
Tuesday, 26 December 2017
Friday, 3 November 2017
Having had xenon and LED headlights for years now, I’d never relished the thought of going back to halogen. I found a set of all LED lights online with a green background and halo DRL which has the indicator switch back feature. They arrived this week and I’ve just fitted one. I love it!